Assisted Negotiation: Tenant Landlord Dispute case study
- Mr & Mrs B (tenant) from New Jersey USA entered a 2 year ‘Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement’ with Mr & Mrs Y (landlord) who resided in Malaysia. The property was managed by a London property agent. The tenant paid £1900 per month rent and a deposit of £2630.77 was paid to the agent and registered with the Tenant Deposit Scheme.
- Prior to moving into the property an independent inventory was carried out along with another upon leaving the property. The landlord refused to authorise the return of the deposit, advising the agent that they wished to charge the tenant for restoration work that was necessary to restore the property to its original condition. It became clear that some of the restoration work was the responsibility of the landlord and not the tenant.
- Following the intervention of the mediator, we were able to facilitate the refund of the whole deposit less £68.00 for minor restoration work.
Facts & figures
- The assisted negotiation took just 3 hours compared to the nine months the dispute had already gone on.
- The mediation cost each party £195.00 each compared to the thousands that they would have spent on legal fees had they continued with Court action.